Discuss the relationship of health care insurance coverage related to disparities of various culture groups.
1. Examine personal tendencies for cultural bias, generalization, and assumptions as they influence the delivery of quality health care.
2. Discuss the relationship of health care insurance coverage related to disparities of various culture groups.
3. Compare and contrast the nurse’s role in the delivery of culturally competent care.
4. Apply the concepts that assist in fostering diverse relationships in providing health care on a global level.
The course begins with an exploration of cultural influences and personal values in the delivery of culturally competent nursing care to diverse population groups. What we think, feel, and experience throughout our lives both personally and professionally can affect the manner in which we deliver health care. It is imperative for the nurse to practice with the patient’s health and cultural needs as a primary focus. Health care organizations provide guidelines and policies to assist in delivering culturally competent care, but it remains the nurse’s role to ensure they are followed. An evaluation of a case study requires the development of assessment techniques that enhance the student’s ability to apply the learned concepts.
Dayer-Berenson, L. (2014). Cultural competencies for nurses: Impact on health and illness (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA, Jones & Bartlett Learning.
• Chapter 3: Global Diversity
• Chapter 4: Organization of Health care Delivery in the 21st Century