Formulate a research proposal problem statement, a research question, and research variables.
1. Identify a priority research topic relevant to an issue in clinical practice.
2. Formulate a research proposal problem statement, a research question, and research variables.
3. Employ search strategies and databases to find credible resources and conduct a quality literature review.
4. Explain the relationship between theory, research, and nursing practice.
In last week’s discussion, you shared perspectives on priority research issues in your clinical practice. This week, you will continue to investigate the issue, which you will develop into a topic for the Research Proposal, to learn more about the significance of the problem to nursing. We will explore the Ashford University Library and other resources that are available to assist in performing a quality literature review and searching for evidence. After gathering evidence, you will begin the first phase of the Research Proposal, and you will formulate a problem statement and a research question and identify relevant research variables. We will also examine the relationship between theory and research and nursing practice.
Schmidt, N., & Brown, J. (2015). Evidence-based practice for nurses: Appraisal and application of research (3rd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
• Chapter 3: Identifying Research Questions
• Chapter 4: Finding Sources of Evidence
• Chapter 5: Linking Theory, Research, and Practice
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2006, March 16). Position statement on nursing research. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/publications/position/nursing-research
• This article summarizes AACN’s (accrediting body for BSN and graduate programs in nursing) position on nursing research. This article will be valuable to your completion of the discussion and written assignment for this week and also to your completion of the Research Proposal due Week Four.
Accessibility Statement does not exist.
Connelly, M. L. (2014). Use of theoretical frameworks in research. MEDSURG Nursing, 23(3), 187-188. Retrieved from http://www.medsurgnursing.net/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MSNJournal.woa
• The full-text version of this article is available through the EBSCOhost database in the Ashford University Library. This article provides a brief research roundtable report discussing use of theoretical frameworks in nursing research. The article provides knowledge that will be valuable when you complete this week’s assignment, The Research Problem, and will also inform your Research Proposal due Week Four.
National Institute of Nursing Research. (n.d.). Implementing NINR’s strategic plan: Key themes. Retrieved from https://www.ninr.nih.gov/aboutninr/keythemes#.VsimN9BX
• As the title indicates, this web page shares ideas and provides guidelines pertaining to the implementation of the NINR Strategic Plan. You are required to read and process this material as part of the week’s assignment, The Research Problem.