Title: Sexual Morality and Equality and Discrimination
Sexual Morality and Equality and Discrimination
This week, please complete the following tasks:
First, please carefully read chapter 12 on sexual morality and chapter 13 on equality and discrimination.
Second, begin your single post by including the actual % of the readings that you read this week. For example, you might write at the top of your post: “I read 85% of this week’s reading.” Be truthful, since your answer will affect your grade. Please do not use decimals in your answer!
Third, please fully respond to the following FIVE massive essay questions appearing here:
1. What is the difference between conceptual and factual matters with regard to sexual morality? What are some factual matters that would be relevant for consequentialist arguments regarding sexual behavior?
2. Kantian ethics objects to deceit, manipulation, and coercion. According to these Kantian objections, what kinds of sexual activity would be considered morally objectionable?
3. Explain how Natural Law theory might be used to determine the ethical morality of masturbation, premarital sex, prostitution, pornography, birth control, adultery, and gay marriage. Do you agree with Natural Law theory on these matters? Why? Why not? Explain how Virtue Ethics theory might be used to determine the ethical morality of masturbation, premarital sex, prostitution, pornography, birth control, adultery, and gay marriage. Do you agree with Virtue Ethics theory on these matters? Why? Why not?
4. Summarize the likely Utilitarian arguments for and against affirmative action; summarize the likely Kantian arguments for and against affirmative action.
5. Evaluate the ethics of racial profiling; evaluate the ethics of hate crime legislation. Make sure to include a discussion of the implications of the principle of equality, civil rights, and the ethics of preferential treatment in your answer.
As always, students who cite their readings (with page # references) in their answers receive better grades!