Analyze key factors related to global healthcare issues
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
· Analyze key factors related to global healthcare issues
You work for a nonprofit that is trying to gain financial support for its food- and water-safety initiative in Somalia. Specifically, the initiative seeks to serve the vulnerable populations who face nutritional challenges because they lack safe, clean water and food. Your organization is hosting a fundraising dinner gala and has invited many important philanthropists from around the country. The event will have a silent auction and a live auction to try to raise $1,000,000 for the initiative. The nonprofit’s mission is to purchase and take supplies to individuals at risk, so they can be self-sufficient at cleaning their own water. In addition, volunteers will take farming equipment into the at-risk communities and teach them how to grow clean, nutrient-rich food.
As the fundraising director, you have been tasked with preparing a compelling presentation for the gala attendees, which should educate them about the situation on the ground in Somalia. In particular, you need to explain the reasons for the food and water issues and convey the gravity of the public health crisis, so that the wealthy donors will feel compelled to generously fund the important initiative.
In order to prepare your presentation, keep in mind that many of the attendees may not have any baseline information. In order to accomplish this task, structure your presentation in the following way:
· Begin by welcoming the attendees and establishing a context for your presentation. Specifically illustrate key terms that must be understood in order to appreciate the rest of the presentation, including the following:
· Define and discuss the significance of the term health equity.
· Differentiate between and discuss the significance of morbidity and mortality.
· Differentiate between and discuss the significance of endemic, epidemic, and pandemic.
· Identify and define 2–3 additional relevant terms that would likely be new to your audience, and discuss their significance.
· Describe the vulnerable populations who are the focus of the initiative. Be sure to go beyond reporting on the data to paint a compelling picture of the people in Somalia facing these issues, and address each of the following:
· Present a demographic overview of Somalia. For example, you might provide statistics related to age, sex, race, socioeconomic status, etc. You should select the details that you find most relevant and compelling for your audience.
· Present a cultural overview of Somalia. For example, you might identify primary sources of income, common diet and methods of cooking, and religious and popular views on disease, etc. You should select the details that you find most relevant and compelling for your audience.
· Identify the causal factors of the food and water issues in Somalia. Specifically address how climate and the environment have impacted the availability and safety of food and water.
· Emphasize the gravity of the food and water situation in Somalia. For example, qualify and illustrate the extent of these issues (i.e., are they endemic, epidemic, or pandemic?). Specifically address the following:
· Present the impact data related to the incidence of the food and water issues. For example, you might identify percentages and segments of the population that suffer from food- or water-borne infections and the levels of morbidity and mortality related to those infections, etc. You should select the details that you find most relevant and compelling for your audience.
· Evaluate the impacts of food and water availability and quality issues on health equity in Somalia. In other words, to what extent are these resources unequally distributed within society? How does the inequity exacerbate the health challenges? Support your evaluation with specific evidence.
· End your presentation by summarizing the data you have presented. Based on your assessment of the gravity of the situation, encourage your audience to generously “open their checkbooks” to help tackle these challenging issues.
What to Submit
Food and Water Safety Fundraising Presentation Craft an effective presentation that educates potential donors about the situation on the ground in Somalia. Specifically, you need to explain the reasons for the food and water issues and convey the gravity of the public health crisis, so that the philanthropists feel compelled to generously fund the important initiative. Your presentation must be 10 to 15 slides in length, include speaker notes, and cite any references.
Website: The Water Project Use this website as a model for the type of information that is important for educating audiences about issues of food and water quality and availability in sub-Saharan Africa.
Website: UNICEF: Research and Reports Use this website as a credible and relevant research source for your presentation.
Website: UN Data Use this website as a credible and relevant research source for your presentation.
Website: WHO: African Health Observatory Use this website as a credible and relevant research source for your presentation.
Website: Nonprofit Presentations: Tips, Tricks, and Other Things to Consider This resource will help you inhabit the role of a fundraising director for a nonprofit by learning helpful tips and tricks to apply to your presentation.
Library Resource: https://www.everyculture.com/Sa-Th/Somalia.html
This resource provides some background information on Somalian culture.