Mental Illness Assignment Paper
Mental Health in the Community
Write a 1000-1500 word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. There should be three main sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) sources using citations in your essay. Make sure to cite using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page in correct APA do not count towards the minimum word amount. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.Mental Illness Assignment Paper
• Go to the Healthy People 2020 website and search for Mental Health and Mental Disorders. After reading the Overview section, pick and note 2 objectives/goals from the list that you feel affect your community and explain why these were chosen. As a nurse, what can you do to help the community move towards this goal?
• Explain how physical health and mental health are correlated. What impact does each have on the other? Give at least one detailed example of how either a specific physical ailment leads to a breakdown in mental health or how a specific mental health disorder can lead to physical issues.
• Explain Trauma Informed Care in detail. How you can use Trauma Informed Care to assist a child who has been impacted by trauma?Mental Illness Assignment Paper
• MentalHealth.gov. (2017, September 26). Talk about mental health. Review and read information about mental health.
• National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). (2017, May). Review and read information about mental health.
• National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). (2017, May). Health topics. Review and read information about mental health.
• Trauma Informed Care Project. (n.d.). Review and read information about trauma informed care.
• Children and Trauma: Tips for mental health professionals. (n.d.).
• Fredla. (2018). Review and read information about trauma informed care.Mental Illness Assignment Paper
Mental health is an important thing to talk about, but it can sometimes feel uncomfortable for people to start discussing. It is an important subject, however, as an increase in societal mental health awareness can have positive outcomes. For example, one study examining a British anti-stigma campaign found that people who were more familiar with the campaign were more likely to feel comfortable disclosing mental health issues to family, friends, or an employer, and were also more likely to seek professional help (Henderson et al., 2017).Mental Illness Assignment Paper
Fortunately, there are all sorts of ways to learn about mental health issues, whether one is an introvert, an extrovert, or somewhere in between. This article will cover tools that can supplement mental health interventions, worksheets and activities to help people learn about mental health, books dealing with mental health for adults and children, Facebook groups for mental health issues, and finally World Mental Health Day activities and events.
Globally, persons with mental disorders, cognitive health services and professionals of mental health are subjected to negative publicity and are stigmatized and discriminated against despite the fact that there is growing evidence of the essence of mental health for development (Sadik, Bradley, Al-Hasoon & Jenkins, 2010). Mental health impacts several development outcomes and is the basis for social stability since it serves as a vital determinant of the well-being and quality of life (WHO, 2010).Mental Illness Assignment Paper
Because mental health is a crucial indicator of human development, problems linked to stigmatization and discrimination on people with mental health disabilities should not be underestimated or washed away. The World Health Organization for example linked stigma and discrimination related to mental illness to suffering, disability, and poverty (Corrigan & Watson, 2002; Crabb et al., 2012). This paper will focus on how stigma and discrimination limit the rehabilitation of persons suffering severe mental health condition. The paper will also focus on ways that I as a health/rehab professional would play in reducing this impact on a person with mental challenges.Mental Illness Assignment Paper
According to the seminal work relating stigma, Goffman (1963) pointed out that stigma is an aspect which is deeply discrediting and which results in making one feel different from the rest and of a less pleasant kind. This unpleasant phenomenon is usually followed by prejudice, rejection, loss of status and discrimination (Link & Phelan 2011, p, 380). According to Byrne (2000), bigoting is a symbol of disgrace or dishonor and which result to separating one from the rest of the people.Mental Illness Assignment Paper
According to Baffoe (2013), prejudice and discrimination come about as a result of several factors like myths, illiteracy, lack of knowledge, belief system and fear and exclusion of person that are viewed as being different (Baffoe, 2013). Likewise, Crabb and colleagues (2012) asserted that the experiences of stigma are characterized by humiliation, secrecy, labeling, seclusion, and prejudice. Because stigma is mostly grounded on social attitude, people who have mental illness are usually, rejected, shunned and are prone to sanctions, harassments, and at times violence.
According to Kohn et al. (2004), Stigma, fallacy, and fictions revolving around mental disorders have been noted as the primary reasons for a significant number of patients refusing to seek treatment (Kohn et al. 2004). Stigma results in massive discrimination and violation of human rights experienced by persons who have mental illness (Ngui et al. 2010).Mental Illness Assignment Paper
Effects of stigma on mentally ill persons
The effects of stigma on individuals suffering from mental health challenges are equally painful like the mental illness itself. The stigma leads the community to form the following attitude and actions toward people who have a mental disorder: fear, discrimination, and mistrust. The effects of stigma on people living with mental illness lead them to Form fear of “coming out,” minimize the need to seek necessary mental health care, form practices of individual-stigmatization and undergo discrimination.Mental Illness Assignment Paper