Select a nursing admission/assessment or patient care/preparation process or procedure (e.g., routine shaving of the surgical site) that is commonly found in your practice setting that you and your colleagues question. You will gather evidence to determine the basis for this process or procedure, provide suggestions based on evidence on how this process or procedure should be changed, and determine possible barriers to implementation of a revised clinical practice guideline.
A. Describe a nursing admission/assessment or patient care/preparation process or procedure currently found in your practice setting.
Note: You must choose a process or procedure that was already in place and you can recommend changes to.
1. Discuss why the present process or procedure needs to be changed, based on the evidence you have gathered.
2. Based on your initial investigation of the situation, do the following:
Note: You may need to ask workplace personnel to complete the following.
a. Explain who determined the basis for the current process or procedure in your practice setting.
b. Explain the decision makers’ rationale for instituting or supporting the current process or procedure.
c. Explain why the decision makers decided to implement the current process or procedure.
3. Recommend a practice change for the process or procedure you selected.
a. List five relevant and credible sources to support your suggested practice change.
Note: Credible sources are less than five years old and may include professional journals, research reports, professional websites, governmental reports, current texts less than five years old, and presentations from professional meetings.
4. Explain the clinical implications your recommended change might have on patients, based on the relevant and credible sources you listed in part A3a.
5. Explain the implications your recommended change might have on the practice setting, based on the relevant and credible sources you listed in part A3a.
6. Discuss how you would involve key stakeholders in the decision to change the process or procedure or to comply with the recommended change.
B. Write an essay (suggested length of 2–3 pages) in which you do the following:
1. Discuss the specific barriers you may encounter in applying research to processes and procedures in your practice setting.
Note: You should distinguish between difficulties you would have interpreting what the research says and synthesizing it into a practice guideline or procedure, rather than just the outside barriers to change.
2. Identify at least two strategies that you and your team could use to overcome the barriers you discussed in part B1.
3. Explain how you would implement your recommended process or procedure based on research findings.
C. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.