Discuss Elderly Abuse
Week 3—Introduction to Ethics Final Paper
· The topic is Elderly Abuse and should be written from an ethical nursing dilemma.
· The introduction is designed to define the topic (ex. Lateral violence in nursing—how is it defined? How prevalent is the problem? Are there distinguishing types of lateral violence? How does this affect the nursing population? Why is this topic an ethical dilemma for nurses/nursing profession?)
· The term “ethical dilemma” refers to a situation where choices need to be made, the answers may not be clear, the options are not ideal and there may be active barriers to a reasonable solution
· The topic is objectively defined and described. As nurses we have a duty to our patients to advocate for them. At the same time, we must keep ourselves out of the situation. This section must address the topic with objectivity and facts.
· There are no “I” statements or opinions voiced in this section—there will be a place for that in the Professional Response section.
· Use the rubric heading for this section of the paper (in fact, put all rubric headings in following the introduction so they are not overlooked when you are writing the rest of the paper).
· At least one professional journal article should be cited to substantiate the facts that are relevant to the overarching topic
· The paper introduction should be submitted in APA style (7th edition). Please familiarize yourself with APA and how to cite references. The following website is a quick and helpful tool to use when writing in APA style. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_style_introduction.html
· The introduction will vary in length but should be at least one page (double-spaced 12-pt. font text).
· The paper should be 7 pages in length.
Rubric for Introduction to Ethics Final Paper:
Clearly and effectively communicates an introduction of the theme/objective of the ethics topic
Effectively communicates an introduction of the theme/objective of the ethics topic but questions remain
Does not effectively communicate an introduction of the theme/objective of the ethics topic
Misses point completely in introduction of the theme/objective of the ethics topic
Each detail supports or tells more about the topic and has follow up sentences which provide additional support
Some of the details support the main idea/topic, but some do not
The details do not support the main idea/topic OR there are not enough details
There are no substantiating support for the main idea/topic
Very strong appropriate interpretation of data and relevant to the topic
Largely appropriate interpretation of data and relevant to topic
May contain some misinterpretation and/or irrelevant material
Limited interpretation and relevance of topic
Understanding of Topic as Ethical Dilemma
Addresses ethical issues in good detail, if appropriate
Addresses ethical issues adequately, if appropriately
Does not address ethical issues adequately, if appropriate
Ethical issues not appropriately or clearly addressed, if appropriate
Spelling, Grammar, and APA format.
No spelling, grammar, or APA format errors.
Less than 3 spelling, grammar, or APA format errors.
Less than 7 spelling, grammar, or APA format errors.
More than 7 spelling, grammar or APA format errors