Gene technology carries with it social and ethical implications—many of which engender personal views and discussion.
Select one (1) of the following biotechnology topics to write about:
• Genetically modified crop plants
• Genetically modified microorganisms
• Genetically modified animals
• Personal genomics and / or personalized medicine for humans
• Gene therapy
Write a four to six (4 to 6) page paper on your chosen topic. Organize your paper into sections corresponding to the following requirements:
1. Biological basis.Describe the technology. Discuss what it accomplishes. Elaborate on the scientific principles that make this technology possible. Your goal in this section of the paper is to show the instructor that you understand the underlying science behind the technology. Describe how exactly the technology works. Discuss the biological principles that underlie this technology.
2. Social and ethical implications. Without disclosing your personal view about this technology, provide an analysis of its social and ethical implications. State the ethical concerns apparent in the use of this technology. Discuss the benefits and risks. Your goal in this section is to look at all sides of the issue. In the next section, you will give your opinion. In the next section, you will give your opinion as to whether you believe genetically modified organisms will affect biodiversity in both animals and plants in the near future?
3. Debate it. Debate whether you believe genetically modified organisms should be labeled or whether you believe that for personalized medicine and gene therapy genetic information should be incorproated into data to advance the field and possibly fuel advancements for therapeutic development.