Assignment: Systems of Psychology
Assignment: Systems of Psychology
1. For this assignment you must read chapters fourteen and fifteen from Brennan’s book, Readings in the History and Systems of Psychology (2nd Ed.).
2. Write 3 pages on the following:
What in this selection supports the identification of James with pragmatism in his definition of psychology? What did Dewey mean by the reflex arc concept in the study of motor activity?
3. Format this paper in APA style with the correct reference page format. Your paper should be from 3 pages and should have a references page.
Unit 3:This is also a 2 Part Assignment
1) Descartes uses the terms “clear” and “distinct” to explain certain immediate perceptions. What is the difference between immediate perception of ideas and actual experience? Why are the two accounts so different?
2) Locke’s tabula rasa argument contends that all ideas and hence all knowledge comes from experience. According to this argument, human nurturing provides one with ideas and hence knowledge of things. How can you reconcile Locke’s argument with the idea that humans have innate abilities, such as instincts and intuition? Are these innate abilities forms of knowing? If so, is Locke’s argument valid? What are some limitations of Locke’s argument?
Topic: Empiricism and Rationalism
10 Strategic Points Quantitative Study Extraction #2
Due Date: Aug 21, 2017
In the prospectus, proposal, and dissertation there are 10 strategic points that need to be clear, simple, correct, and aligned to ensure the research is doable, valuable, and credible. These points, which provide a guide or vision for the research, are present in almost any research study. The ability to identify these points is one of the first skills required in the creation of a viable doctoral dissertation. In this assignment, you will identify and evaluate 10 strategic points in a published quantitative research study.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
Review the Wigton dissertation.
Locate and download “Modified 10 Points Template.”
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
APA style is not required for this assignment.
You are not required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
Using the “Modified 10 Points Template,” identify each of the 10 strategic points in this quantitative dissertation.
Complete the “Evaluation” section of the template by addressing the following questions (250-500 words) with regard to the 10 strategic points in the study:
Discuss the key points in the literature review and how the author used this section to identify the gap or problem addressed in the study.
Describe the variables under study and how they are a key component in this quantitative research study. You are not expected to understand the differences between variables at this point, but should be able to identify how they inform the problem, purpose, research questions and data collection instruments.
Describe the problem and how it informed the research questions under study.
Describe the quantitative design used and why it is appropriate for the identified problem and research questions. Support your response with a peer-reviewed citation from a research source.
Assess the appropriateness of the instruments used to collect data and answer the research questions as well as to address the stated problem.
Discuss how the problem statement informed the development of the purpose statement in this study.
1. A Path of Understanding for Psychology
Polkinghorne, D. E. (1994). A path of understanding for psychology. Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, 14(2), 128-145. doi:10.1037/h0091138
2. The Social Constructionist Movement in Modern Psychology
Gergen, K. J. (1985). The social constructionist movement in modern psychology. American Psychologist, 40(3), 266-275. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.40.3.266